(20191022) Global Forum: Culture shock; what to expect and how to overcome it.
This months Global Forum will be held on October 22nd, 2019 from 6:00 PM- 8:00PM. We invite all students to attend as the topic is quite interesting and useful for all; both local and foreign students.🙂☺🤗
Topic: Culture shock ; What to expect and how to over come it.
Our speakers are both local and foreign students who will share their experiences with you as well as useful tips/ suggestions to help overcome or welcome culture shock.
Interested students can register through the link below.
Refreshments will also be provided for you!🧁🧃🥐🥯
Title: Culture shock; what to expect and how to overcome it.
Venue: International Conference hall, Kuang fu campus B1 floor
Time: Tuesday, October 22nd, 2019 18:00-20:00pm
Registration: 17:30 pm- 18:00pm
Host: International Student Association Division
With many foreign students arriving in Taiwan, especially those who reside outside of
Asia will experience some form of culture shock. In order to assist students with this problem, this forum will allow other students both local and international students to share their stories, their experiences as well as tips on how to overcome this problem.
For example some students may be tired of using frustrating and confusing public
transportation that doesn’t seem to work well, or they’re exhausted from making themselves understood all the time and just want to speak with someone like them.
Even just standing out, looking foreign, bothers many people abroad. These minor problems balloon into massive problems and thus, makes students feel like an outsider and may even lead to depression.
- Foreign student experience sharing vs. Local student experience sharing.
- Foreign students who have lived here for sometime can share their expereinces living and studying in Taiwan (2 students from different countries).
- Local students who have visited outside countries e.g the USA, Europe, Australia etc or have done exchange programs can share their stories on adapting, learning expereince and how to survive culture shock.( 2 students from Taiwan)
- Advice to others to overcome the culture shock.
- Each student has to give some advice to the audience on how they overcame culture shock and possibly some tips to share with other students on what they can do to make their new country feel like home.
- Invite a local school counsellor ( Kunyi Chen) to discuss his culture shock expereince, give therapeutic advice / suggestions and make students aware that there are services available if their new environment seems too overwhelming.
- What is culture shock ?
- Expereince sharing (Foreign & local students)
- How to overcome culture shock.
- Counsellors advice on how to protect your mental health in this situation.
- Q & A